peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My hot water heater will not stay on ,it trying to light but

Customer Question

My hot water heater will not stay on ,it trying to light but doesn't what do I need to do
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It's not lights it's the water heater
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2014 3600 blue Ridge
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 8 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it light at all on propane or work on electric ( if this has the electric feature)?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It's propane only, it will light for just a second or 2 and then kick off and my reset light on my panel comes on . I have reset it several times but it still want work

O.k.,it doesnt like a fuel or fuel valve issue here since it does light briefly but what can cause this is a faulty temp sensor.If the hot water heater temp sensor is sending a false temp signal that it is hot already it will turn off the heater from running.This will then light and go out like you see here.

This will have to be tested further to make sure that this is the cause here and will require the correct diagrams to check this as well as electrical test equipment.I suspect this sensor will need replaced as I have had to do on other models.It is possible the ignite switch is the cause needing replaced but usually it is the temp sensor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete