Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 2006 fleetwood travel trailer (250RKS). A have a

Customer Question

I have a 2006 fleetwood travel trailer (250RKS). A have a new battery and reconnected the wires. Sanded clean all the connections. The trailer battery will power the slide-out but not light up the interior lights. When I hook up the truck, the truck's power will light up the interior lights. Shore power will do the same. Struggling to figure out why the trailer battery isn't powering the lights.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 10 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 days ago.

That is usually a tripped shortstop breaker up near the battery. By code, they have to be located within 18" of the battery. I will attach a photo link so you can see what they look like. Small black button on the end that you push in to reset it. Some OEMs put in a fuse instead. That may be a blade fuse or cylinder style fuse. In any event, it is keeping the battery from powering up the lights. The slideout has one as well and that one isn't tripped. If you don't see it, follow the positive lead to it and it may be located underneath and even behind a small cover on the bottom side that is accessed by removing some screws. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&thid=OIP.BqT81_i2snOEu0WIlAltMAEsEY&q=shortstop+breaker+photo&simid=608020010253748560&selectedIndex=1

Expert:  Randall replied 10 days ago.

If you are still having issues we can do some quick testing with either a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter. About $5 and $20 or so respectively and easy to use.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Randall,
I opened the access panel on the underside of the trailer and there were three ShortStop circuit breakers. Moisture has corroded them to the point that I could only read one. It's a 12v 20a. I went to O'Rileys and picked up 2x 20a, 2x 30a, 1x 40a and 1x 50amp. It's more than I need but I figured I would take back what is not needed. Is it possible to send you a photo? I took a picture of the entire wiring that was behind the access panel. I believe there are 2x 20amp breakers and 1x 30amp breaker but I could be wrong. Obviously I don't want to install the wrong amp breakers.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

The amperage won't be more than 30 amps and you can gauge them by the wire sizes. If any are larger than the wires for the 20 amp breaker, then use a 30 amp. A photo of the wiring would be helpful here. Attach it using the paperclip icon if you can.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Attaching photo. Appreciate the continued support.
Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

Good job on the photo! And you are most welcome! The two with the black wires ONLY should be 20 amp and the one using the red wires should be 30 amp. Copper post goes TOWARDS the power supply. Direction of power flow goes TOWARDS the silver post. Hope that gets the job done. Replace any terminals with a lot of corrosion between the wiring and the ring terminal. Southwire makes a nice stripper and crimper. Let me know if you need more here.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

Black lead off the tow cord is the charge lead from the tow vehicle. It would be fused in that vehicle also.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks. Replaced the three undercarriage fuses and all seems to be working. Knock on wood!
Expert:  Randall replied 8 days ago.

Great! Good job.........and please tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer.