peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have purchased a 1990 p30 motorhome, it has a 454 and it

Customer Question

Hi there i have purchased a 1990 p30 motorhome, it has a 454 and it is 30 ft long. We just replaced the hydrobooster, master cylinder and battery with 800 cold cranks. Put the key in and got power but no starter sound or anything. What could be going on. Is there a switch to allow it to crank up
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: No clicks
JA: What is the model of your '90 RV?
Customer: alls i have been told is a chevy p30
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I have knocked on the starter, started flipping switches
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I don't think so
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If you apply the emergency brake does it start up then at all as some required the emergency brake to be set before starting it up.Let me know.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Pete. I am headed back out to the rv and try that

Your welcome

Let me know if it works at all.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok got back out here. Emergency is locked in and get the ignition click but that's it

Have you tested for first the main power cable signal at the starter ( the larger one ) to have at or near battery voltage at all times key on or off and when the key is held in the crank position for the ignition cable at the starter to have at or near 12 volts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If the other two batteries are no good would that cause the issue aswell

I dont have the exact diagram of this model here but if one of the other batteries are tied into the main starter power source then this will cause this fault here if one of the batteries is dead or weak.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's is running. It has a security system on it

O.k.,it sounds like it may be an after market security system installed as usually these didnt come with a factory system for this year here.That is great to hear it is running.If there is anything else I can help with here let me know as I strive to achieve a 5 star rating.

Thanks Pete