Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

The furnace will light for about 10 seconds and the go out

Customer Question

The furnace will light for about 10 seconds and the go out for about 20 seconds. It will start again and stay on a little longer the next time. It will keep doing this and eventually stay on but it smells like it is not burning right.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: I meant the furnace will ignite for 10 seconds
JA: What is the model of your '10 RV?
Customer: Atwood 7920-II
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a atwood 7920-II heater in my ice shack and it will ignite for about 10 seconds and the go out. In about 20 seconds it will ignite again and run a little longer this time and then go out again. It will keep doing this and eventually stay running but does smell like it is burning right
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

IF it does not smell right and it continues to run it could be a LP pressure issue. What I would do is have a RV shop hook up a manometer to check the line pressure, it is a 30 mins check and they can tell if that is the issue, it should be checked yearly. IF it is not a LP problem I would blow out the exhaust really good, make sure you have safety glasses on, after that the unit might need to be pulled and the gaskets on the burner chamber checked. If it does not smell right I would have the pressure checked out..

Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..... Robert

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out.... Robert