Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Keystone Alpine 5th wheel, with an LCI 6 point

Customer Question

I have a Keystone Alpine 5th wheel, with an LCI 6 point leveiling system. The other day I leveled it out and opened all slide outs. Now, they won't retract. When I push the retract buttons on the levels, I hear a clicking noise for a brief second but the jacks won't retract. The front jacks will extend but will not retract. The middle and rear jacks won't do anything. The slide outs will not close. I can hear the motor when I push the extend button but when I hit the IN button, nothing happens. I originally thought this might be caused by cold weather (we had temperatures in the teens and twenties for a couple days) but it got up into the 60s yesterday and they still don't work. Any suggestions?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The noise sounds like it's coming from the hydraulic motor. I've looked everywhere I know to look and I don't see any sign of any leaks...everything is very clean.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2015 - Keystone Alpine
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried troubleshooting myself but have had no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else.
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the sound sounds like it is coming from the hydraulic motor try tapping on the motor carefully and see if they then operate.In some cases the motor may bind up and tapping may free it up and in other cases the motor can fail needing replaced.If this was already attempted with no success let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried all of this with the unit plugged in or not plugged in to AC. I've also tried it connected or not connected to my truck. Same results. Front levels will extend but not retract. Middle and rear levels won't do anything. Slide outs won't do anything.
If the motor had bound up, would the levels still extend and NOT retract? If the motor needs replacing, would the front levels continue to extend but not retract? If the motor needed replacing, it seems to me like nothing would work. Is there a reset button or circuit breaker that could have kicked off that would prevent retracting jacks and/or slide outs?

Unfortunately I dont show the diagrams or component operations/locations for this model here myself but others may be able to help here on some testing and component checking.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not at home (where my RV is) right now so I won't be able to try any suggestions until much later this afternoon when I get home from work.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Do you have one battery or two in this unit? It sounds like this is a low voltage issue caused by having a battery that is low on charge or failing. Get back to me with the information on this and I can assist you in sorting this out. A small digital multimeter would be helpful here. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in some testing. I think that this would be much easier to work out over a phone chat, but that is a small upcharge and totally optional. Many of my customers prefer that. Get back to me as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have two batteries - both about 2-2.5 years old. If the batteries are low, would the front levelers still extend?
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

They can. Most batteries will only go about 3 years. This needs to have the largest batteries you can fit in there. Two 6 VDC golf cart batteries wired in series is the best, ***** ***** two 27 series 12 VDC batteries wired up in parallel. I would have the batteries load tested to be sure they are viable. A reading with a meter would give you some idea of the voltage available and if they are being charged adequately. You should see about 13.7 VDC at the batteries when plugged into shore power. If you don't, the converter may be suspect or you might have tripped a shortstop breaker near the batteries due to low voltage and a high amperage spike and that may need to be reset or replaced. You can easily check it with a meter. Once you get the voltage situation resolved (if needed) I think we can reset the system and it will work fine. I have a repair shop and have been here on this site over 7 years and see this issue all the time. Rarely, is it a problem with the motor or controls.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

See the attached photo link of what a shortstop breaker looks like. The black button on the end has to be pushed in to reset one. Usually two or more connected by a copper strip right behind the batteries area on the bulkhead. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=shortstop+breaker+photo&view=detailv2&&id=8D4939A7F0965679E3E29C89B963B0D9C24CDC15&selectedIndex=2&ccid=BqT81%2fi2&simid=608020010087614920&thid=OIP.M06a4fcd7f8b6b27384bb458894096d30o0

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked my batteries and they are both fine (showing 13.5 or higher). My fifth wheel has two shortstop breakers but neither one has a reset button anywhere on it. I tried disconnecting all of the wires to both shortstop breakers and reconnecting...didn't make any difference. One of the shortstop breakers has an in-line 7.5 fuse...I checked the fuse and it's fine. Any more suggestions before I call to have a repair person come out? I have an extended warranty but: 1) didn't want to go through that long, drawn-out hassle if I didn't have to and 2) was hoping to use my RV over the three day weekend coming up this weekend. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

What does the screen show? Any error codes flashing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No error codes.
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

It might be a pump or control pad issue, but only some testing can tell you that. You might have to have a mobiule tech come and assist you. Sorry I can't really give you much more here.