gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

My dometic 3way fridge RMD 8551 is working on gas but not on

Customer Question

My dometic 3way fridge RMD 8551 is working on gas but not on 240v .took out element to test it and put power to it and it gets extremely hot,why isnt working when it works on gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Same as usual
JA: What year is your Element?
Customer: 4 years old
JA: Are you fixing your Element yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The element has been taken out of its cowl and i turned on the voltage and it appears to get very hot
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

Either 240 VAC isn't available OR the breaker may be tripped OR the controls may not be working for the AC mode. Are you getting any kind of error message on the display? Do you have a copy of the Operator's Manual for this fridge? Get back to me with this information and I can help you sort this out. A small digital multimeter is very helpful here for checking where you have power or not. All follow ups are included in our fee. I am in California so keep any time zone changes in mind.

Expert:  Randall replied 4 months ago.

See the attached link for a copy of the User's Manual for this. Print it out if you don't have one. http://www.caravanfridges.co.uk/pdf-manuals/rm-rms-rml-operation-manual.pdf