Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My gen starts but will not hook up to electrical system, No

Customer Question

My gen starts but will not hook up to electrical system
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No all is well
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2401msb 2015
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is a 35 amp fuse that is blown and plulled. I can't find a replacement, or i don't know where it goes?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

What is the make and model of the generator? DO you have to plug in a cord to allow the AC power into the RV OR you start the generator and you have power available?

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have pwr hooked up
It is an Owans 3500kw
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will get back to you
Thanks Keith
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

OK

On the generator should be some breakers, most have one or two breakers, on some there is a side panel you have to remove to get at the breakers.

IF the generator is running and you have NO AC power inside the RV I doubt it is a fuse issue, normally a fuse is for the DC side not the AC side.

IF the breakers on the generator are not tripped you could have a faulty Transfer Switch (TS) the TS detects the incoming power source and switches between shore and generator power, when the TS fails you will get no AC power on one source, it can happen on shore power or generator power......

I saw your response, it takes some time to type a reply, I will continue with my answer so look for another response when you can.

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

If you have AC power going into the TS and nothing is coming out then it has failed, the TS can be located in a few areas, sometimes it is next to the shorecord in box and other times it can be inside the RV, under the bed, in back of the breaker panel etc. BOTH the SHORE and GENERATOR cord will go to it.

IF you have NO AC power at the the TS with the generator running then it sounds like a problem with the generator.... Hope this makes sense, if you have more questions or cocnerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond WHEN I can....

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a STAR rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping.....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Just so I am clear the AC power would be the outlets, TV, Microwave it is possible to have the AC power but be missing the DC power, when the generator is running or you are plugged in the power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage, so if you DO have the AC power let me know.....

Make sure you also do not have any GFIS that are tripped, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley but can be just ablut anyhwere else.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert