Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have an olderdometic Americana rv refrigerator that

Customer Question

I have an olderdometic Americana rv refrigerator that decided to quit U check the 2 fuses on the circuit board, they look ok ,what next can I look for?
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 22 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

What is the make and model of the fridge??? And when you say "quit" is the fridge not turning on at ALL OR it appears to be working, (flame is going) and it is not cooling???

Robert

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It is a dometic Americana ,1999 model,and doesnt work at all,the control panel on the front,the light that says auto on it comes on,thats all,it a 3 way,i looked at the 2 inline fuses on the circuit board, they look ok,the camper has been in a park and refrigerator operating on electricity.any idea's?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't know if it has a flame as I have not tried it on propane.I willattemt that
Expert:  Robert replied 22 days ago.

IF the light is coming on then it has power going to it, one of the fuses one the board allows the fridge to turn on so if the panel was dead then it would be a blown fuse. I would try and run it on LP if it cools on LP but not AC power then you could have a bad AC heating element.

Go to the outside and you will see the vertical flue canister the wires for the AC element will run from the circuit board to the element, if the light is coming on for auto that area on the flue where the AC element wires are located should feel very HOT to the touch, if that is hot feel the grey absorber coils they should feel nice and warm no cool or very hot spots. IF they are cool then you could have a bad cooling unit. I would see what happens on LP, normally NO cooling on both LP and AC bad cooling unit OR thermistor. No cooling on only ONE source then it is not the cooling unit... Hope that makes sense, if you want to check some things out and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can..... Robert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok I will try all that and get back to you I was hoping for a fuse or bad board,not that lucky
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

Sounds good let me know and If I do not hear from you have a Happy New Years!!!

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping out...

Robert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Canister has heat,the grey gray coils and tank are not. On l.p. gas,anyhow
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

Sounds like a bad cooling unit if it is not cooling on LP or AC..... One last thing you can try is to unplug the themristor from the circuit board, I am pretty certain yours will have 2 wires that plug into the P-2 connector on the circuit board, if you unplug that connector the fridge should default to FULL cooling and you should see that after about 2 hours of it running, no cooling bad cooling unit, they can rupture or become blocked, for a rupture you might see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge or smell ammonia, for a blockage you will not have any symptoms at all but NO cooling on BOTH AC and LP.... Might not be the best news........ Robert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Did that,hear some thing going on in there.iwill see in a couple hrs
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

10-4.... Robert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Think I unhooked the wires that go to the element on the canister. I try find correct one's
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

IF you can get me the model number I can send you a service manual, it might be a RM 2652 but that is a guess they have hundreds, should be a sticker inside the door with the model number...

Robert

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It's a rm2852
Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

OK

Click HERE for a service manual, it will show the thermistor, if you have a meter you can ohm it out...... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 20 days ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert