Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

No 12 volt power from batteries. Batteries good...12.8 volts

Customer Question

No 12 volt power from batteries. Batteries good...12.8 volts each (2 X 12 volt in parallel). Battery disconnect switch is 3 pole which has continuity when power to third pole. But, I thought this would be latching switch and it doles not seem to be. Also, I can detect no power at the battery switch on any of five leads. What are diagnostic steps to trouble shoot no 12 volt power with good batteries?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

When you hit the disconnect switch do you hear any audible "click" at the relay? And is this one made by RV Custom Products or by Intellitec? The former is black and shaped like a chuck of modeling clay. Intellitec has their name on it. Once I know which you have I can direct you further. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No clicking, no power to the disconnect relay ir the manual switch either one. The relay is upright and black with no discernible markings at all. It has only one input terminal instead of two but when I remove it apply power to the third terminal and ground it clicks and I get continuity across the main terminals.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It seems to work but to my surprise does not seem to behave like a latching relay.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

That should have fuse on the control board that allows power to that switching circuit. If you have a 12 VDC test light that should be easier to test. You can probe the tops of the fuses and not remove them all if the diagram doesn't identify that one for you. Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Didn't see a control board anywhere around the batteries or disconnect relay under the entry steps. Can it be mounted elsewhere?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Usually in the stepwell next to the batteries (if there is one) or under the hood in the load center. It might be controlled by a shortstop breaker and not a fuse. Silver or gray cube relay. Black button on the end you push in to reset.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Real small like 1/2 inch wide/hi?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Yes......like two cubes of sugar next to each other.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so that is an inline breaker? How many amps would you guess?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The amperage is marked on them in small print. If you have power in and not any power out, then it may be bad. Copper post goes towards the batteries and take care as you can install these backwards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where can i find a replacement and what is it called?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Any automotive or RV shop carries them. Ask for a manual reset shortstop breaker and take the old one with you. Just be sure you keep the orientation straight.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Couple general questions and then I am done...what is the difference between the three and four pole disconnect relay and I thought all these would be latching switches...won't they waste current if not?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

One needs a ground lead due to mounting on fiberglass or plastic surfaces. No, they only have power when you hit the button and as soon as it is released they don't. The internal magnet moves the contracts in one direction or the other to make the circuit.