Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 34' Coachman Mirada. 39 K miles. Front vibration at 58

Customer Question

2003 34' Coachman Mirada. 39 K miles. Front vibration at 58 mph and on. Alignment, new tires (Michelin) yesterday replaced balancing beads and dropped recommended psi 80 down to 65. Also installed large steering stabilizer shock.
JA: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?
Customer: Tires are 2 years old.
JA: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dropping the pressure down to 60 and see what that does. will drive it tomorrow
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 18 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

What chassis is your RV on?

A failing steering gear or worn bushings on the suspension components is one possible cause.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 13 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Chris - It sits on a Ford chassis. Just re-balanced the steer tires again with beads. No change. Front bushing are all good. Had alignment done a year ago. That shop told me to sell it that Ford chassis are junk.
Thanks -
Neal
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 days ago.

You're the first I have ever heard say the Ford F53 chassis is junk. After the mentioned repairs if the steering wheel is still moving then I would look into a steering gear needing replaced.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Steering wheel is great. it's the tire vibration up front after 60 mph

If the front tires are vibrating you should be feeling this in the steering wheel. Since you are not, are you sure this is not a rear driveshaft U joint or carrier bearing or drive line angle concern?