Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Why won't norcold ref/fzr operate on electric only?

Customer Question

why won't norcold ref/fzr operate on electric only?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: nash/cd-121/1996
JA: What is the model of your '96 RV?
Customer: The tag is old and unreadable, 19ft
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes on fixing. tried all operations along with auto/off/gas. It only operates on gas.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Yes on gas hog. Yes on starting
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it supposed to be able to operate on electric only?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 12 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Inside the door you should have a sticker with the model number, most Norcolds start with the letter N and a number, can you try and locate that number?

IF not that is fine I can still give you some direction... Robert

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Not indicated as a model #....anyway 616657a
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No
Expert:  Robert replied 12 days ago.

OK

SO if the fridge is not working on AC power check the outlet it is plugged into, if the outlet has power then look for the circuit board on the back of the fridge, on the board is a fuse for the AC side. Unplug the fridge from the outlet before checking that fuse as it is AC power. IF the fuse is good then you could have a bad ac heating element, there is a way to ohm it out with a meter to see if it is the problem, the ad heating element will go into the flue canister and the wires will go to the circuit board. Click HERE and see if this looks like your fridge, if so it is a service manual and should help you diagnose.... IF it is not your fridge you can add a photo into your reply using the paper clip Icon. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 12 days ago.

When you are in auto and plugged into power is should want to work on AC power, you might not hear anything but the round flue canister will get VERY hot to the touch after it has been running... Robert

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is the ac fuse in line in the back of the unit?
Expert:  Robert replied 12 days ago.

NO... you would have a circuit board on the back of the fridge, it will have a bunch of wires going to it and the cord that pugs into the outlet, you have to remove the cover on the board to access but make sure the cord is unplugged, did you look at the link I sent?? Does that look like your controls? Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 days ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped???? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving... Robert