Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Purchased new Jayco 2106 16XRB yesterday. everything worked

Customer Question

Purchased new Jayco 2106 16XRB yesterday. everything worked fine at first without being connected to 110 power supply. Today we have no 12 volt power. only works if it is plugged into external power supply. Charged new battery, still nothing works on 12 volts, checked all fuses. Dennis(###) ###-####
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: nope, battery is new, removed from unit and charged over night. Has water in cells.
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: Jayco, 2016, jay feather 16XRB. Purchased yesterday.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing myself, don't know what to fix. under warranty I assume. looking for obvious fix. First travel trailer.....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Power went out when I was using power jack to unhook travel from tow vehicle and has not come on since.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

DO you have a battery disconnect switch inside near the entry door? Some do and some do not, when you hit that switch it allows the DC power into the RV......

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Also what catches my attention is this happened when you were using the jacks, go to the battery and follow the cables and make sure a fuse or breaker did not trip as a general rule they will stick them 18" from the battery and can be tucked on the frame, below is one style they can be using. Most have a tiny tab on them that will pop out when they trip. You should have voltage on each post to chassis ground, if one post does not have power then it is your problem, verify you also have 12 volts at the battery, if you do not have a breaker OR it is OK and you have NO battery disconnect switch then I would have it looked at under warranty, I have a hunch you may have tripped a breaker when using the jack, that is wired direct. Let me know if you need more help, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a star rating on the page, it is the only way I get "credit" for helping, you can also follow up if needed..... Robert

Breaker.....