Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My domestic frig in 2004 Cardinal quit suddenly. It seems to

Customer Question

My domestic frig in 2004 Cardinal quit suddenly. It seems to be working on electc. and gas lights on, panel works, and outside unites are "normal" hot, but neither freezer or frig are cold.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: inside and the control panel settings
JA: What is the model of your '04 RV?
Customer: Forest River 29LX Cardinal
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked fuses and breakers seem to be fine. I'm not a refrigeration guy
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: everything seems to heat on the gas side of the frig and like wise on the AC side when you switch them over, but the frig and freezer themselves don't cool
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks Randall
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

What is the model number off the data tag on the inside of the fridge? And take a look outside when you remove the inspection cover and see if there is any yellowish debris around the base of the burner. That would indicate a failure of the cooling unit and a rebuild would be needed to correct this. Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Model # Rm2862 it was very minimal but I did notice some yellow at the burner I'm pretty sure
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

That is sodium chromate and is the "Pepto bismal" of the system and when you see that the cooling unit is leaking. This is a pretty common problem on this model as it ages. You can rebuild this using a good re-built cooling unit made by ATCO America who galvanizes them to prevent this from happening. You can do this yourself if you are somewhat handy with tools and I can direct you in this process. I can provide you with a source as well for the part if your local dealer doesn't have them. Hope this proves helpful here.

Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

I get $899 for this rebuild in my shop, but the price may vary in your area. Not all shops want to do this and just want to sell you a new one for about twice that price. The warranty is the same as a new one.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks I will check with our local dealer then unless there's a good online source. Our dealer is about 1+ hrs away
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

You can usually buy one online or I can assist in that depending on where you are located.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We are in Ahwahnee, California by Yosemite National Park.
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

I have been selling these for about 13 years with excellent results. I am located up near Mt Shasta on I-5.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you have a part number?
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

Not right now as I am not at my shop..........but, I can get this to you on Monday.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That would be great thank you for your assistance. Do you have an idea of time to change/rebuild
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

The turnaround is about 3 days on average. And you are most welcome!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Got it, how long does it take to remove the unit and replace it back??? Roughly. I'm pretty handy
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

Once you remove the fridge, it takes about 30 minutes to take it apart and then you clean it up and let it dry out. It takes about 3 hours total to rebuild, but one day to allow the new sealing to dry. I will offer you a phone chat option if you want to do this yourself and I can direct you over the phone. No time limit or on multiple calls.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If you can get me a part # Monday I'll talk with my wife and go from there. We do have an extended warranty that covers these kind of things so I'll see what we want to do.
Expert:  Randall replied 16 days ago.

10-4