Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a brand new tt wh works on gas not elec I filled the

Customer Question

I have a brand new tt wh works on gas not elec I filled the tank and got the air out of the faucets before turning on the switch
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: the tt
JA: What year is your TT?
Customer: 16 bought it 3 weeks ago
JA: Are you fixing your TT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am living in I ran gas and elec together got hot ran elec only just cold
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

What is the make and model of the water heater???

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

IS this a suburban?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Also so you know it runs on AC power and you must be plugged into power for the AC heating element to work. On the Atwoods they have a switch next to the gas switch, on the suburbans there is a tiny switch located outside under the access panel in the lower left on the water heater, that switch must be ON for it to work on AC power... Let me know the make and model I can assist you more if needed... Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is an atwood
forest river lacross tt
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
iwhere can I find the model #
gc6aa-10e
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

OK

So on that model you have the dual switch inside, when you turn the electric side on it heats an element on the back of the water heater, it needs AC power to work, it will take about 30 mins for the water to get warm, if you waited 30 mins and it is not getting hot check your main breaker panel and make sure the breaker for the water heater is not tripped. This also might have a high limit reset for the AC side on the back of the water heater let me pull up a wiring diagram and take a look... Respond shortly. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

On this model it sends DC voltage on a yellow wire from the circuit board on the water heater to a relay on the back of the water heater, then it switches the relay and allows the AC power to the element. You could have a bad board if there is not voltage on the yellow wire when you turn the electric switch on or a bad relay if you have DC voltage on that wire. IF this is a brand new unit I might have it looked at under warranty IF the breaker is not tripped for the water heater. I can send you a wiring diagram if you like that shows the items I am talking about. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Please keep in mind I only get credit when you select a star rating on the page... Robert

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
for some reason a switch in the fuse panel was off I think it may be water heater this was a show model they may have turned breaker off to keep people from burning element I will leave it on and see what happens it is under warranty I live in it and don't want to drop it off so I am trying you first
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Understand, it will take a good 30 mins for it to get hot...

Let me know if you need more help, IF you are satisfied please feel free to select a star rating, you can still follow up if needed.

Robert