gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a 99 Chieftain 5.9 cummings. It keeps turning on the

Customer Question

I have a 99 Chieftain 5.9 cummings. It keeps turning on the engine light and going into self preservation mode. It goes in and out of this. Whe it happens I hear a loud "click" like a solenoid.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I was coming home from Indy in September and that is when it happened, no real warning though the water temp increased maybe 20 degrees prior to this and then went back down to normal. It seems like the click may be coming from the front of the chassis
JA: What is the model of your '99 RV?
Customer: 1999 Winnebago Chieftain, Freightliner frame
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A friend that has a diesel shop is playing with it. He changed the low pressure pump and got a little more fuel pressure. When this happened I got it to a truck stop and I changed the fuel seperator cartridge, it had a lot of rubber residue in it so we changed all the lines. The RV will run good going down the road a mile or two ,then click, the engine light comes on and it falls on it`s face
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is Joe

Could you please provide the engine serial number and all of the exact Cummins fault codes in the ecm please?

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 8 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.

-Joe