Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

When changing my electric heating element on a Rm 2652 the

Customer Question

when changing my electric heating element on a Rm 2652 the ammonia gas and a yellow build up around the insulation and canister was prominent. Is that normal and it still does not work. The gas does light up. any other ideas what is wrong with it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

That normally is a sign the cooling unit failed and would have to be replaced, you should never smell ammonia at all, if so then it has leaked out. Normally what happens is when you try to run the fridge on AC power or LP the fridge will not cool off at all, if the heating element is very hot on the flue canister but the absorber coils are not warm or have very hot spots then the cooling unit is bad. I would see if you can get it going on AC and see if it cools, if the area around the element is VERY hot and it is not cooling bad cooling unit. A cooling unit will cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge will plus the labor is more to change it out, for a cooling unit replacement you are looking at about 4 hours of labor vs 1.5 hours to swap the fridge out.. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 24 days ago.

HI... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....

Robert