Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a non functioning Dometic 2652 refigerator with what

Customer Question

I have a non functioning Dometic 2652 refigerator with what seems to be no or low ammonia charge, cools slightly then feels more like it's heating. I replaced it and want to get the practically new unit re-charged. I could ship it or deliver it for the repair. Then I could keep it or sell it on ebay without ah screwing someone.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: Yeah I even removed it and burped the unit and could hear the distilled water trickle in the pipes, the new unit works great in fact it was at freezing in the refrigerator in three hours, 12 hours in the old one the temp went up.
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: it's a forest river work and play
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried a new control and I tried burping it gas worked or at least it fired up when it was unplugged didn't get cooler control, board and on off switches function. I was in refrigeration in my working life but only saw ammonia in feild trips at college
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: well are you local Kentucky and how's shipping
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

What exactly are you asking now? You are talking about the fridge not working but then say it is freezing in the fridge. Are you looking for a recommendation on what to do with the fridge that is now working OR are you looking for a replacement cooling unit? Your question is hard to follow......

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Follow ups are included just need to have a better idea of what you are asking...

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was looking for a place close that could replace the cooling unit, I found a place in Arkansas that will send me a cooling unit and I can send back the core for a partial refund and they will rebuild and check the boiler for a crack or re charge it and ship it to the next person in need. I don't need a membership and have a new refrigerator which I installed. Keep the five dollars for your trouble. Jim
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Normally you do not repair them but I know some places do, it puts more stress on the cooling unit. I think your idea is a good one if you can recover some of the cost on the old one, I would do it as they are spendy. All the shops I have worked at do not repair these they get replaced....

Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Robert, Cool RV in Arkansas will send me a cooling unit and I can ship back the old one for them to check for leaks and put a charge in it. When I worked in refrigeration we used a recovery unit that pumped the charge into a can and then I could repair the leak or replace the compressor. then recharge with the same freon and add the missing charge. I have a refrigerant users licence. Ammonia is a whole different class of licence. Thanks for the responce I don't want a membership! Jim
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

I only get credit when you select a rating at the top of the page. I DO NOT handle the payments, billing or memberships, click HERE and they can assist you...

Robert