Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Just installed new 5 button thermostat and all we get is

Customer Question

just installed new 5 button thermostat and all we get is EE..HELP
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2006 DUTCHMEN GRAND JUNCTION
JA: What is the model of your '06 RV?
Customer: 37QSL I THINK
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: JUST GOT A NEW THERMOSTAT AND PLUGGED IT IN
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO..JUST HOW TO GET THERMOSTAT TO WORK..WE R FREEZING
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Was this the same thermostat that you had before? If not, you can't use this without a control board change as well. If it is the same model, then there are a number of causes for the "EE" code error. It is because of a lack of communication between the thermostat and the A/C. Most of the time it is something in the cable, but it can be a few other things as well. I am attaching a link to an RV blog where these are discussed. If you did have another 5 button thermostat before, then let me know and I can add a testing procedure for you. It would take a small digital multimeter and an older style phone jack. Both would be available at most hardware stores. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/ee-code-on-5-button-comfort-control-center-196307.html

Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

See the attached link for that 5 button testing process..........http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc5.pdf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The ac worked fine with old thermostat just would not ho to heat.now new thermostat just had EE message
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
replied by text..did u get it
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

I can't tell what the part about the "heat" was..........and did you try installing the old thermostat again? Was it a 5 button model as well? In a pinch, you can get a heat only thermostat and install that and get the heater to work (as long as it has nothing wrong with it).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the old thermostat would not switch to heat,,what is the EE error code
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Not sure you read my first response completely. It is because of a lack of communication between the thermostat and the A/C. Most of the time it is something in the cable, but it can be a few other things as well. I am attaching a link to an RV blog where these are discussed​. Did you click on the link and read the blog articles about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok will read the blog..thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 3 months ago.

Hope that helps you understand the issue.