Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Dometic model RM3862 frig works fine on AC power, when

Customer Question

Dometic model RM3862 frig works fine on AC power, when switch to LP will work for 4 or 5 min. then shuts down. Have not open unit or cleaned yet. Never had any problems before.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 28 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 28 days ago.

It may be a problem with some cleaning needed or that the LP pressure is too low and needs ajustment or the board (if this is the OEM board) may be failing. Do the first two things and then we can move to the testing for the board if you are still having an issue. When I get to my shop shortly, I can get you a copy of the Dometic Service Manual which can give you some valuable information on this. I will also make a phone chat option for you. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected here.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Took off wind cover and burner shield and cleaned area. LP gas pilot started and continued to work. Reinstalled cover ad shields, LP would not spark and ignite. Removed shields and cover again, still no spark or ignition.
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

That can be the control board or the ignition module or you may have cracked the porcelain on the igniter. If it was working before you cleaned that area this may be the issue. I am adding a link to the Dometic Service Manual for you. Print that out so you have it. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/domser.pdf

Customer: replied 18 hours ago.
Mr Randall. Sorry its taken so long getting back to you. Left on trip right after getting Refrigerator working. Thank you for the service tip manual. Printed it. What I found as the problems, with the help of my son, was first the IGNITIER. Was not putting out 12 volts. Second with the ELECTRODE cable/wire. Ceramic insulator was good, did a conductive test on the total cable. Was good until you got to the tip that was in the burner flame area. The conductive at that point (spark point) was all most zero. Thus no spark. Replaced those two items and system works good. As a note, Have had this type of problem before. Old VW rabbit. Would start when cold. Not when Hot. Initiation wire to starter to close to exhaust manifold. Changed wire and location, no more problems. Your direction to start clean and checking was to good start. Thank You.
Customer: replied 18 hours ago.
Have a question on another item. Trailer breaks. Electric. Double axle. Originally elect. brakes on front axle only. Added elect. breaks to rear axle. All new parts. Problem. Rear break drum, wheel get very, to hot to lay hand on, even with elect. wires disconnected. Front axle stays cool. Appears to me the magnet is dragging. Any idea on fix.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 hours ago.

You are welcome! Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know I pointed you in the right direction. Please don't forget to enter in a rating as that is the only way I get credit from the site for the time I spent assisting you. As for this new question, it needs to be addressed as a new question as it doesn't really qualify for a follow up to your original fridge question. I would be happy to answer that for you and you may ask for me by name.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 hours ago.

We could address it in a phone chat as well. Less money than a new question. No limit on time or number of calls. I will make that offer for you.