Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2009 coachmen captiva. Not used for over 5 years.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 coachmen captiva. Not used for over 5 years. Put new battery in and it went dead and was shot,could not be charged. Same with second new battery. My wife stayed in camper one night and within 5 hrs. The lights dimmed. Had second battery shot and unchargable by pro. It has 1 larger white wire, 1 larger red wire and 1 smaller red wire that all connect to battery. While the 2nd battery was used the camper was connected to 30 amp service, and battery still went dead and unusable. How do these 3 wires connect o battery? If connected correct, will battery still go dead? I have a 3rd new fully charged battery, but afraid to connect to trailer. I am not sure how wires go. Should battery charge when connected to 30 amps?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Yes you should have a power converter that charges the battery when you are plugged in. I am going to go into some details on what to look for but it will take me a few mins to type out a response..... Respond back shortly....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

SO when you are plugged into power the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage and charge the battery. You will need a volt meter to see what the voltage is doing at the batteries, if the converter is working properly you should see around 13 volts and no lower then 11.8 volts when you are plugged in. Sometimes on the charge line from the converter you may have a breaker, below is a picture. As a general rule it would be 18" from the battery and can be on the frame. Most have a tiny tab on them that pops out when they trip, the voltage on each post should be close to chassis ground, if you have voltage on one side and low voltage on the other it is the problem.

The other issue is the converter, the converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet, the stand alone style will have two fuses on them, they can be located about anywhere, under the fridge, stove, behind the breaker panel or near the batteries. IF you can get me the make and model of the converter I should be able to send you some troubleshooting but you will need a volt meter.

As far as the cables if a cable is going to a breaker, like the picture below or a fuse it is going to be positive if it is going to the frame it is going to be negative. Normally red is positive white is ground, if you have two batteries it will depend if they are 6 or 12 volt on the main cables, below is a diagram for that as well..

IF you need more help please let me know, follow ups are included, if you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the TOP of the page... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert