Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

My slide out on a 2001 Class A Southwind starts to go out,

Customer Question

My slide out on a 2001 Class A Southwind starts to go out, about .5", and stops. It appears to be stuck at top. It twists when trying to go out.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes. Engine is running and emergency brake on when I try it.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V.
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I've done is look for trash and I ran a plastic putty knife behind seal to see if seal was stuck. I thought about removing awning next.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

I think your idea of removing the awning is a good one, if the awning had a bad spring or was not aligned it may cause this type of condition, if the problem still occurs then you could have an issue with the room not being adjusted properly OR something has failed in the hardware, if it comes down to that I would consider having a shop take a look at it as you do not want to make things worse then they are. When you remove the awning you will have to pin the roller tube on each end before you remove the arms from the bracket, if you look at the end of the roller tube you should see holes, you need to rotate the awning tube so it lines up with the hole in the torsion assembly and then put a cotter pin so the awning is locked and the tension will not come off, you should be able to set it on the roof so it is out of the way and then you can try running the room to see if the awning is causing the problem.... I am not sure of the manufacturer of the slide-room it could be Power Gear if so find the motor, it will have a lever on it and if you move the lever it will disengage the motor and you should be able to push the room in and out, check where the motor connects to the shaft tubing and make sure you did not sheer a pin as well, have seen some issues with the power gears and sheering pins, when they do that the room will only move a few inches and stop. Really hard to say what is going on but I think it would not hurt to remove the awning and see what happens. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included...... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert