Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

A friend gave me a 1989 Georgie Boy motorhome. It is a

Customer Question

A friend gave me a 1989 Georgie Boy motorhome. It is a Cruise Air !!!. We put new batteries (3) in it. Drove it to my hunting lease and cannot get lights to go on inside off of batteries. He can't remember how the Battery Disconnect Panel works on dash or what needs to be done in electric compartment in rear
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Sorry, the inside lights when engine is off. lights over table,in bathroom,etc
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: It is a 1989 Georgie Boy,Cruise Air III
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself. I tried the lights at home with the adapter plug so I could plug into 110 outlet in my garage at home. The all worked.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I hold thecoach button in and turn key on and push the emergency start on the dash the lights go on
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Do you have a volt meter? IF you are hitting the emergency start and the lights are coming on you might have low battery voltage as that is connecting the batteries together. I would go to the house batteries and get a reading, if you have good voltage at the batteries and have a disconnect switch inside to isolate the battery power follow the cable from the battery and look for a solenoid, on the solenoid will be two LARGE posts, one should come right from the house battery and have the same voltage as the battery, check across the solenoid, if you have NO voltage then jump the posts and see if your power comes on, if so bad solenoid. Also want to mention the adapter going into 110, you need to be very careful when you step down like that, as you turn items ON you can have line loss as you are trying to pull to many amps through a small cord.

DO you have a generator on this and if so and you start the generator do you get the power back? IF so it could be low battery voltage as the power converter should charge the battery when you have AC power available. SO the key is if you have good voltage at the batteries, if the voltage is low it is a charging issue or you have a draw, if the voltage is good possibly a bad solenoid not allowing the DC power into the RV... Hope this gives you some direction, let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included.... Robert