Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I am getting no power to my motor home when connected to an

Customer Question

I am getting no power to my motor home when connected to an external power source
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: It first started to be okay for approximately an hour,then would kick out.Now,when I connect to external power I get nothing.It does work okay when I am on the auxiliary generator setup,which requires the external power cord to be plugged into a receptacle on the coach.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: It is a Four Winds Model 5000 built in 20006
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have attempted to troubleshoot,however I don't have a clear understanding of where to look,other than to make sure my external power receptacle has 110 V there.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I check for power at the 110 V circuit breakers in the coach power center and got no indication of any power getting there.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Sorry for the delay..... Just SO I understand you have NO AC power when you are plugged into shore power but everything works fine running the generator? Also you have a cord that you physically have to plug in for the generator OR is it automatic? Also are you using any type of adapters or cords on the main cord you plug in with???

Robert

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Reach me at 1-***-***-****
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

Hi again...

I see you have requested a phone service, there is an additional fee for that, I will send you a request, if you do not want to do the phone service I can help you in this format....

Robert

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have already paid $29.00 for an answer.Why should I have to pay more to talk to you on a phone?
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

Not my rules and I only get a portion of what you paid. I would be more then happy to help you in this format. The phone service is an "additional" service the company offers, most customers do the chat portion and then if needed request a phone call.

IF you want me to help you in this format then please answer my questions from earlier..... Just SO I understand you have NO AC power when you are plugged into shore power but everything works fine running the generator? Also you have a cord that you physically have to plug in for the generator OR is it automatic? Also are you using any type of adapters or cords on the main cord you plug in with???

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The answer to your last RV power question is:In order to use the RV generator power to the coach, I must take the land power cord and plug it into a receptacle located on the ceiling of the cord storage compartment.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No adapters are being used for the land power connection.
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

OK

So what power source are you plugging into are you using a 30 or 50 amp service OR are you using any adapters on the main cord you plug in with?

Robert

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have a 110 V 30 AMP service that I ran to my utility shed from my house's main breaker panel.
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

OK

Trying to picture how your incoming AC power is wired up, some RV' s will have a ATS which is an Automatic Transfer Switch it detects the incoming power source and switches between shore and generator power. IF you have to plug a cord in for the generator I doubt you have one but you may have a relay where the main cord is coming into the breaker panel. Need to follow the shore cord and look for any junction boxes or where the cable is coming into the breaker panel and see if you have your AC voltage. Make sure the source is good as well, I also might get a polarity checker and plug it into the outlets with the shore cord plugged into power and see if there is a wiring fault. Have to follow the path of power through the cord to the breaker panel. At some point it might be wired in with the generator if you have to plug the shore cord in to allow power into the RV. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

The problem as to be with the supply or at the point where the shore cord is connected to the RV. Try and follow the cord and see where the connection point is, that should be where you are losing the AC power assuming your power supply is good. Try and narrow it down if you can. Let me know if you still need more help... Robert

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The generator literature does mention a transfer switch. There is a metal ,household type, electrical box, with a removable cover,located on the cord storage compartment ceiling,next to the receptacle where I plug my shore power cord in,for using the generator.I have not had that cover off,so I'm not sure what is in there.
It does appear that the power cord, going up into the floor of the RV and to the main breaker panel, under the bed exits the back of the receptacle box that I plug the shore line cord into.
I have never had a faltering power supply to my shore power receptacle,nor has the 30 A breaker ever tripped.
I don't have any power to the RV panel 110 V breakers. I HAVE TRIED to narrow the problem down and I keep hearing a polarity problem mentioned.How could polarity get reversed?
I wired the power supply,from the house to the shed,using the black wire as hot and the white wire as neutral,and the neutral wire is connected to the ground that the house power has.Also,everything in the shed that feeds from the same power source works fine.It is just that I can't get power to flow into my RV, from the shore power cord.
The 12 V power of the coach has a negative ground also. I just don't understand the polarity issue, especially since the shore power initially worked okay until it just quit going into the RV.
Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

If a wire at some point was touching or a wire has come off or you are losing ground the polarity checker will pick it up. Places like Home Depot have them for a few dollars, it simply plugs into the outlets and will light up if there is a fault or if the wiring is correct. I really think you have a bad connection point where the cord is connected if everything is working OK with the generator or the supply is not right. You have to follow the cord and the path of the AC voltage.

Have to find the point where the shore cord is connected, it could be in that outside box so that would be one area to check. You would see the other end of the shore cord going to that outside box and then it would have to be connected to allow the AC power in for the generator.... Robert

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
My son checked the receptacles in his shed with a polarity tester.They checked okay.The 30 Amp service to the RV receptacle for the land power plug ,for the RV,is being fed by the same power source as the shed.We have no polarity tester for the 30 Amp
receptacle.Should it not be fine,if all the other power feeds are?
Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

What you would do is plug the shore cord in and then go check the polarity inside the RV at the outlets. Chances are it is fine but for your condition with the generator allowing AC power into the RV you have to check the supply, check the outlets inside the RV, if the polarity checker does not light up at all there is NO power making it inside the RV then you have to go to the point where the cord is coming in and check the connection out.... Robert