Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I just want to switch from running by battery to running by

Customer Question

I just want to switch from running by battery to running by electricity the water pump and water heater. Right now I have trouble keeping the batteries constantly charged while I am parked long term. What do I do?
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: I park it long term. I am not running it until the spring when the weather gets better, but I have family living in it
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 96 Fleetwood RV
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just keep the batteries going and I want to switch to using my 30 AMP electric to run the pump and water heater
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

The only way to run the water pump and water heater is to have a good constant supply of DC voltage, they will not run off of AC voltage. When you are plugged into a 30 amp service it should not be an issue as the power converter should take the incoming AC voltage and make the DC voltage to charge the battery. IF the battery is not charging then you could have an issue with the power converter, a tripped breaker near the battery OR bad batteries. There is no way to run them off of AC power as the circuit board for the water heater needs DC power to work, the water pump is also run on DC power. Maybe I am missing something so please feel free to expand on this if needed..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me....

Robert