Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Can,t turn on furnace ...this is our first rv, 2007 coachman

Customer Question

Can,t turn on furnace ...this is our first rv
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2007 coachman micro capri
JA: Are you fixing your Capri yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, Trying to. So far I have checked the limit switch, wire connections and voltages. Furnace is aAtwood7920_ll. Fault light says it's either limit switch fault or air flow problem. Does not come on at all.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It has a red led light on the circuit board. It says in the manual that 1 flash then 3 second pause is either limit switch fault or air flow problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don,t think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Did you try to recycle the furnace 3 or 4 times. When it hasn't been used for a long time this can happen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
several times. The reset switch in the furnace keeps tripping. Then the fault light flashes 1 time waits 3 seconds and repeats. Manual says it is limit switch fault or air flow problem. Furnace does nothing.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Does the motor come on at all? Are you plugged into shore power or not? Batteries in good condition?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Motor does not come on at all. I am hooked up on 110v at my house. However the 12 volt external battery on the camper is dead but I didn't know if that would make a difference
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is***** can continue with you on that issue

If motor is not turning then the sail switch is not closing and wont start,

Next step now is take unit out of trailer then out of it's shell and check to see if motor is seized.

It would explain why the reset keeps poping out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think that is the problem. I put amp tongs on the power wire going to the blower motor. It shows to be pulling 10 amps for about 3 seconds then reset trips out.
Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 month ago.

There's your answer, !!

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\best regards

Luke

Expert:  Gaztech replied 1 month ago.

Itès good to check the blower wheel first incase it is pluged up with a nest or something..

You will find Atwood parts on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atwood-33219-Hydro-Flame-Furnace-Motor-PF20068Q-RV-Parts-/322191937165

Please dont forget to click the 5 star rating

Luke

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I was waiting for you to get back to me about my questions regarding the situation and took my wife to breakfast. Looks like you were able to find out the problem here. I can tell you to shop around for the motor as the price varies greatly. I will include the link to the Atwood Service Manual which covers this model and you might want to print it out as there is a lot of great information in there. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflamefurn04.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Try AdventureRV as they usually have about the lowest prices. And there are OEM motors and after market motors which are usually less expensive and just as good. I use them in my own shop for furnace repairs. I can get you an approximate price when I get to my shop in the morning. Thanks for bringing your question to Just Answer.