Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2006 Providance, 2 roof ais with heat pumps. HAVING ACCESS

Customer Question

2006 Providance, 2 roof ais with heat pumps.
HAVING ACCESS ISSUES. The front one is on now and back one shut off. In Yuma at 96 degrees outside. Have been having odd issues. At home on thirty amp they would come on and shut off random with out satisfying temp settings. Did some reading and thought it might be shed issues. Sitting here in Yuma on 50 amp service it started acting up again. Front off and on, back not coming on. Just started generator and front running good back came on and shut of, ten minutes later it came back on. Was thinking it was shed but then 50amp should not have issue (tru?)
So in your mind there are three parts in question...Transfer switch, shed board or thermostats control. I changed out thermostats control.
When operating on 50 amp 220 volt is shed in system?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When units run they cool fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After 1/2 hour on generator back air on running good. Switched off generator and both ran for 5 minutes the back shut off.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is common with power feed on generator, 30 amp and 50 amp service that could be intermittent?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You can't run two A/C units in that kind of heat on 30 amps. One will shut down almost immediately. Even on 50 amps you might have an issue IF you have the water heater on AC mode and the fridge on AC mode and other things on. Each A/C can pull up to 20 amps on a very hot day. It doesn't take long to use up another 10 amps. The water heater on AC mode uses 1400 watts right there. So check the other uses and perhaps have the genset load tested with a load bank as soon as you can to be sure it us putting out full power. Hope that proves helpful here. We can run some tests if you have a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Let me know...........and all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have amp meter, water heater, fridge pleased on gas. No difference in intermittent function with service at shore 50 amp or Generator.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Then take some actual voltage readings and see what you are actually getting from the source and AT the A/C. Check for a loose connection AT the A/C as the vibration from the unit may have caused a connection to come loose. Those would be the next steps here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on generator a 15 amp circuit is dedicated to #2 ac and other leg is 30 amp with all remaining appliances. With everything off the 110v supply I still have the gremlin in the system
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

An A/C needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit. And do some testing and check for loose connections. When this happens check the actual AC voltage AT that A/C and see if you have any or not. That will tell you which direction to look for the problem working back towards the source.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is common on both systems which would allow either ac to run on an intermittent basis. This how now gone on for two months while hooked up at my house on 30amp, at at 50 amp campground with air temps at 80, Ontario the road with generator running. I have shut down systems, turned stuff off and continue to search for pattern. Can"t believe that both have bad connections. I will pull down control boards from inside and check tomorrow.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

If you don't do some testing when it happens it will be hard to nail down. And perhaps it is in the thermostat or cables. Don't overlook that as a proximate cause. Remove the cables and then hook them back up again. Check the DC voltage to the thermostat. Failing batteries can do all kinds of weird things and both of these have 12 VDC powered controls.