Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

2012 Aspect. Slides and steps won't work when panel shows

Customer Question

2012 Aspect. Slides and steps won't work when panel shows 4-5v for the chassis battery. Sometimes starting and stoping sometimes seems to fix the problem. Is there a relay or seloniod in the circuit from the chassis battery to the coach. The house batteries are ok a 12V+. Also the battery reads 12V= at the battery
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 21K and yes
JA: What is the model of your '12 RV?
Customer: Aspect 28t
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Replaced the chassis battery. And problem still there
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not yet
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

When you start it up the batteries get a small charge. It sounds like the batteries need some attention. If they are the OEM batteries, there is a good chance they are ready for replacement. I would have them load tested and see if they are viable. Be sure that the terminals on the connections are clean and free of corrosion. I suspect that this will resolve the problem, but if not, please get back to me and we can do some testing and track this down. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Already replaced battery and checked connections at the battery
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Are you plugged into shore power or not? You might not be getting any charging from the converter or invertor/charger. Do you have a small digital mutimeter for some testing? And is this just single 12 VDC battery here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not plugged in. The converter does not charge the chassis battery. Not at the rv at this time. Remember when the problem exists the meter in the coach reads less than 5v yet the engine starts fine
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

The slides work off the house batteries and those won't charge unless you are plugged into shore power or have the generator running. You may have a short some place that is draining the chassis battery and some testing would be needed to find out where that is. Perhaps the meter for the voltage is not working properly. That can happen and does frequently.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The slides and steps work off the chassis bat. When the meter in the coach reads 12 the slides and steps work when it reads 5v the slides and steps don't work.
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

We may be calling this battery by different names. Most of us refer to that as the house battery. The chassis or start battery is for the engine starting. You need to find out why that isn't charging. And with only one battery (most slideout setups take two batteries) you will need to have it plugged into shore power or the genset on. One battery will discharge quickly and then you have this situation.