Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Freightliner Sprinter RV That has lost its

Customer Question

I have a Freightliner Sprinter RV That has lost its clearance lights. Doesn't appear to be a fuse problem as they work sporatically. Since they normally shut off in the daytime I'm wondering if there is a photo cell involved that may be the problem.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: perimeter clearance lights and license plate light.
JA: What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'trying to do what I can since Iam 4 hrs from Mercedes Freightliner service. The clearance light fuse does not correspond to the fuse chart,but the occasional operation of the lights suggests that it is not a fuse problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

You are probably correct about the fuse not being the issue, unless it is loose in the socket or has some corrosion on the tangs. More likely that this is an issue with the switch or a loose ground on that circuit. Some testing would be needed to track that down. You could use a 12 VDC test light or a small digital mutimeter for this. If I had this in my shop I would check the leads at the switch and make sure that there was power out of there to the clearance lights portion and if that was good, then rig up a test ground using a length of wire and two alligator clips. If these are LED style lights it makes it harder due to them needing such a small amount of current to operate. I have never heard of any

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

photocell on these circuits before. Hope that gives you some direction here. Please get back to me if you need more input or direction as all follow ups are included in our fee. You might want to contact Faxon Automotive Literature or Lloyd's Automotive Literature and see if you can come up with a chassis manual with the wiring diagrams as that would be very helpful here.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just checking back in to see how this turned out. I am hoping that my answer did prove useful for you. Please let me know and entering in a rating here would be appreciated as that is the only way we get credit from the site for assisting you. And please let your friends know about the service we provide here. If you have more issues "down the road" as they say, please feel free to ask for me by name. Be safe!