Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have two Dometic roof airs model # 610115.411 and

Customer Question

I have two Dometic roof airs model # 610115.411 and 610115.311. they will not come on by the thermostat I have power to the junction box but no power to the thermostat . any thoughts
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Which thermostat do you have? What have you checked thus far and do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing? About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this and we an sort this out. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a meter, have the analog stats that came with the coach. they have the flat gray cable that plugs into the back of the stat.i have check the breaker on both units at the junction box.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

White covers that snap on and off? Or gray cover?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gray
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Are these in a motorhome or a park model?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Motorhome, 1992 Foretravel grand villa.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Did you check the main fuse in your load center and it may be labeled "furnace" as that is how most of these got power to the thermostat and control board? And if that checks out, which make and model furnace(s) do you have? I can tell you that these controls are obsolete and if you have to replace that thermostat, it will be an upgrade to the whole system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My furnaces are propane and are separate from the a/c. I can not figure out how the stats are powered, is there a main board in the unit that I can check for a fuse?and if so is it on the roof under the shroud?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The furnaces are controlled from those thermostats are they not? And those should have a fuse on the control board and that would be on the roof under the shroud.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The power for these comes though the furnace circuit on most all installations. That was my reason for asking about which brands you have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well here is the kicker I have separate stats for the furnace.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are 12 volt
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a fuse marked for "A/C" in the load center? If not, I really don't know how they would have wired up the power for these. And yes, they are 12 VDC powered.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

If you take one of these off the wall...........what, if any wiring comes into the thermostat except the ribbon wire? And I would try unplugging both ends just to see if the connections were the problem.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Take a look at this thermostat in this link and blog posting and tell me if this is the one you have. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20620892/print/true.cfm

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have taken both off the wall and plugged in and out a couple of times with same results. It really has me stumped.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Or look at this installation instruction for these A/Cs and tell me if the thermostat shown is the one you have? If you can pull the cover off and give me the part numbe that would help. http://www.bdub.net/manuals/DuoTherm_Penguin_610115_Install-Operation.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Did you unplug the cables at the A/C end and try that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Those are the thermostat I have .
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The first link photo or the second?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Scroll down and look at the photo of the one with the cover off. Do you have red and blue wiring at the lower right hand corner as shown?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My bad I did not look closely that is not the one, mine does not have gas on the cover these have heat strips.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

But, with the cover off do they still have the red and blue leads at the lower right hand corner?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

And what is the part number on them up at the top left hand corner?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No wires
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

No red and black there incoming? Any wiring at all coming into these except the ribbon wiring?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

And what is the part number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5054a
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oops no a
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

That isn't the Dometic number.......it should start with "310" and some additional numbers.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

The one in that photo was "3105356.004" and it should be similar.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hold on wrong #try this310 1625
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I will see what I can find, but IF there are no other incoming wires except the ribbon cable, then these get their 12 VAC power from the A/C end. That would be where you need to check. They may even have a small transformer like some of the older Coleman units have.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
K thanks let me know
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

I am adding a link to the upgrade kit if that ends up being what you need here. Not cheap! https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Conditioner-Thermostat-3101***-***-****625-014/dp/B00BDEQUMO

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Let me know what you find at the A/C side. I might be able to get more information from Dometic Technical on Monday when I get into my shop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Copy that, thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

See the attached parts list and part numbers for those older A/C controls. http://beamalarm.com/foretravel-links/PDF/dometic_penguin_manual.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi have you heard anything from Dometic
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Not yet............sometimes it takes them a few days to get back to you. I might try them again in the morning and see if they have an answer.