Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a dometic weather pro awning that will not retract.

Customer Question

greetings, I have a dometic weather pro awning that will not retract.
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2008 national pacifica pc40d
JA: Are you fixing your Pacifica yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself. I replaced the wire that powers the pm awning motor as it was old and cracked. that was not the reason the awning would not retract. when I activate the awning in/out switch in one position I have no power to the motor, when I switch to the other position I have power to both legs of the awning motor.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistant
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the switch is fine, the relays are activating when the switch is activated.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

It really sounds like the control box is the problem, if you have voltage one way and not the other then I suspect the awning motor is fine and it is going to be the control box. I would verify this by jumping DC voltage direct to the motor leads, the awning should want to run in or out, swap the the jumper leads and see if it goes the other way, if not bad motor. You can use a charged 12 volt drill battery and some wires to jump the motor. Also check the switch, pull it out and make sure the connectors are not bent, I have seen cases where the switch is installed and the wires will bend from hitting the inside wall and the switch might not work properly. IF you can jump the awning motor and have no power when the switch is pressed one way then bad control box... Hope this helps some, IF you need to run it in manually please let me know...... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 days ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included.... Robert