Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

My RV Generator Onan 6500 stopped running within an hour.

Customer Question

My RV Generator Onan 6500 stopped running within an hour. There is fuel in the RV tank, fuel filter was changed in April. Not sure if the pump is self priming or if there is a priming device. Its in a sound shield which makes access difficult. I do not have a manual to figure the location of the pump if I need to access it.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a 2005 RV. I have to assume the gen is original. Onan 6500
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

What is the complete model number off the data tag? Did you check the oil level to be sure that was up to the full mark? Did it bog down when it quit or just stop suddenly? And be sure that there is over 1/3 tank of fuel as the fuel pick up is about that high in the tank. Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further if needed. I will be at my shop in a few hours as I am in California and it is early here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. I'll get back in a few hours. I'm in FL and running errands.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago. hurry.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Here is a pic of the specs
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Correction. It's an Oman 7500. Not 6500
Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

So what about the answers to my earlier questions?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It ran slowly down to a stop. The fuel tank is full. Check air filter. It's clean. Took fuel line off and it picks up from a jug of fuel. The suction seems good when I put my finger over the open end of the fuel line with the prime pump on.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oil level is to the 3/4 mark.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm topping it off now.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Just happened upon the fault code. Appears to be flashing 1 9.I looked it up in my op manual and it's Governor Actuator Fault. Is this something we can fix?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can I reset the fault.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

I don't think so, but we have a good Onan tech here on site and I will opt out of this and allow him to offer something. He stays very busy so be patient.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok. Standing by.