Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

How do I remove the outside speakers without damaging the

Customer Question

How do I remove the outside speakers without damaging the finish on the trailer
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2016 Micro Mini
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done is remove the attachment screws and used a heat gun to try to soften the adhesive
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: We are not talking about the same issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, are we both on the same page about removing outside speakers???
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Just let me know...
Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

May I ask why you need to remove the speakers? You can usually gently pry them away from the sides of the coach with a thin bladed putty knife or 5 in 1 tool and you put a thin shield on the body with a soft cloth under it. Even then, it is going to be a project that requires some special care. Most of the time these are not glued down and as there is no need for that. Hope that helps some. Get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee. Attach a photo of these if you can so I can see the actual mounting and surrounding surface.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The factory speakers are very poor quality... Just doing a simple upgrade... They appear to be glued and have sealer as well. I thought that there might be a chemical agent I might could use.
Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

There might be, but I am not aware of one that would work especially well on this situation and not harm the paint. You might want to check with a local automotive store that has some products that might help. I can ask as my "neighbor" to my shop is a large automotive parts house when I get to work later this morning. I am in California and it is early here.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
That would be great... Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

I'll get back to you in a few hours on this.............

Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

Are these stuck on with silicone around the edges or possibly "stuck" on using mastic or putty tape (like modeling clay) on this?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The "glue" is a clear tacky substance. It also has a black putty type "sealer" that is also there. The clear glue/adhesive seems to be the challenge.
Expert:  Randall replied 12 days ago.

I would take a sharp box knife and carefully cut around the edge and see if you can gently pry this up as I mentioned before.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 days ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get those speakers off o.k. or do you still need some additional input from me on this?