Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Refrigerator has stopped working including the freezer part.

Customer Question

refrigerator has stopped working including the freezer part. I have called a local teck that specializes in RV's and he tells me I need a new one. He says I got a leak in the pipe and must replace the unit. He opened the outside heater unit and looked at it for a moment and said I must replace it.
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: It is an old unit 1999 but has always worked fine.
JA: What is the model of your '99 RV?
Customer: 33Z...RM2652 RM2852
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried nothing other than checking the fuses and found them all ok
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 14 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Just so I am clear the fridge is turning ON and appears to be working but it has stopped cooling????

Thanks, Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 14 days ago.

IF the fridge is turning on and it is not cooling on BOTH LP and AC the cooling unit could have failed, normally for a leak you will smell ammonia OR see a yellowish powder on the back of the fridge. When the cooling unit fails it needs to be replaced OR a new fridge, so the info you are getting sounds accurate if it has a leak. A new cooling unit will cost 1/2 of a new fridge but the labor is more to change it out, takes about 4 hours to change the cooling unit vs 1.5 hours putting a new fridge in, so in the end you almost are paying for a new fridge. IF the fridge was not turning on or not working on one source LP-AC then possibly another issue but the smell of ammonia or yellowish powder is a cut and dry sign of a cooling unit problem. Hope this makes sense, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 13 days ago.

HI.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...