gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

I have a 1987 Winnebago lesharo with a 2.2 engine runs for

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Winnebago lesharo with a 2.2 engine runs for about 10 miles and then starts sputtering and backfiring and loses power drastically it idles rough as well some of the times I can shut the ignition off started back up and it gets the power back for a few minutes seems to come inside sometimes with the shifting of the automatic transmission which also sometimes slips into limp mode stuck in 3rd gear not sure if the two problems are related
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 17 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 17 days ago.

What have you tried thus far here? Was this sitting for any length of time without being started?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
it's that for a few years and it has bad fuel in it I deleted the fuel and then drink it out of the tank put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter spark plugs clean the injectors and I've driven quite a few months but it's had this problem intermittently I think it's an electrical issue because the wiring harnesses hacked into in so many places and some of the wires are coiled from Heat I also got a Winnebago service manual with the RV and all the things that I should be having issues with there is been read underlined research done in the manual I don't know if they ever found the problem and and this is a new one that has reoccurred or if they never found it and just put it off on me but you can look at the probable causes and every time I find one and start to look into it another possible cause pops up there's just so many different things that could be but I know then I've seen issues like this in Forums on the internet but I've never seen any of these solved but I know but this is not an isolated problem that these Winnebago lesharo have and I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right RV mechanic that would just say oh you know what this happens frequently and here's what your problem is I mean yes it RV but it's just like any other motor fuel injected and the drive train is just like many other I'm in construction and buildings are different in certain ways but the core structure and all of them contributing systems that give it water power climate and comfort all basically stem from the same idea a motor is a motor. A transmission is a transmission the sensors and the computers are all pretty much designed to meet certain basic standards throughout the industry Jimmy it's just a matter of experience of someone who seen this before even just so much as a owner who's been through it anyway let me know if there's any more questions about it I did have a TDC sensor that was severed where the wires went into the plug housing and I was forced to cut part of the housing back solder the wires to it then detour epoxy around the saucers and that plug when I tested it with an ohmmeter I came up with 173 and the book says that it should be 150 + 50 the plus was underlined but it didn't look like plus or minus which is what I heard that mean sometimes
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No I have somebody that going to look at it in a few days I'm sure he will figure it out but it's a long drive for him San Jose to Sacramento and I want to be respectful of his time he's not going to charge me and I just thought because I found online it's said just ask and I actually thought I was going to be driving this to him when I went to the site but I was going to leave last night for me and I didn't think it would make it so I wanted an idea so I had shoebill it off the side of the road I would know what area to dig into
Expert:  Randall replied 17 days ago.

I see questions on this every now and then I an don't know any of us here are really well versed on this unit. I can tell you it has few people who can work on it or so I have heard. I will opt out of this on the chance another tech here knows something.