Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

Engine light came on on by Cummings 400 in an American Motor

Customer Question

engine light came on on by Cummings 400 in an American Motor coach. any ideas?
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Engine has not stalled. Runs normal. Cummings Las Vegas worked on the Regeneration 4 days ago. Have driven 2030 miles back to GA the last 4 days. No problem except Extreme High Exhaust temperature light has been coming on an off. Drove about 40 miles today and Engine light on and stayed on.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2009 American coach. 42 ft. I drove it hard the last 4 days. checked oil and it was full.
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. made it to my RV park destination. All I have done is checked oil. I di nit know much about working on it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had it in Cummings two times trying to fix the high temp light and regeneration required. Regeneration has not come back on but high exhaust is on about half the time.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

The engine light is the key, it can come on for many, many different reasons. To start I would check the oil, coolant levels make sure they are topped off to the proper levels. I also might change the fuel filters and see if that takes care of the issue, if you had a plugged fuel filter it could cause issues, if that is something you are going to do I would prefill the filters with clean diesel and then cycle the key about 4 times without starting as that will prime the fuel system. I would also check the battery voltage at the battery, make sure it is good, low voltage can cause issues with the engine electronics so it is good to verify the voltage and check your battery cables. Beyond that there could be dozens of reasons the light is coming on, when the light comes on it will store a code, a mobile service or shop that has the cummins software can hook up to the engine data port and see what faults are occurring, in the long run having the codes pulled will save time and money and take most of the guess work out of what is going on. IF you have a severe fault the engine will derate and you will have a loss of engine power.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 17 days ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert