gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

EI recently bought a Thor Ace 27.2 Motorhome. When I try to

Customer Question

eI recently bought a Thor Ace 27.2 Motorhome. When I try to push the Battery disconnect to the store postion nothing happens - is there a simple solution? I don't want to leave te shore power plugged in for long periods.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Are you there?
JA: No. I'm the RV Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: The batterys are fine, and prforming correctly - I just cannot get the disconnect switch to work
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: This motorhome is brand new from Camping World. It is an Ace 27.2; 2017 model.
JA: What year is your RV?
Customer: As I stated aboe 2017
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The only thing wrong is that I cannot get the diosconnect to work as it implies with a switch that shows two positions - use and store : when I ppush the store nothing happens, and the batteries are still active - there has to be a simple fix??????
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does the disconnect switch work thru a solenoid, and if so is the solenoid fused?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 2 months ago.

The first thing to check is the batteries themselves to be sure they are viable and load testing is the only way to do that. Most places that sell batteries can do this for you. Just be sure you mark the cables or take a photo so you get them back the same way. Clean all the connections and especially the ground lead to the chassis. If you have a small digital multimeter this can help here with the testing. About $20 or so and easy to use and I can direct you in that.