Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2007 Monaco Motor Home with a cummins ISL 400

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Monaco Motor Home with a cummins ISL 400 turbo. I have recently noticed a fair amount of soot deposits on the back of the motor home after a long days drive. I am wondering if this is an indication of some kind of problem. I can wpe the same soot from the end of the exhaust pipe. Any suggestions.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: I assume you mean the Motor Home: It is a Monaco Camelot, 42PDQ, Ser # 0717191842834007712318
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Some soot will be normal, what I would do is make sure you do not have an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold OR in the piping from the manifold. Sometimes when the manifold is cracked or the gaskets are leaking you will hear a ticking sound from the top of the engine, it would get louder when you go into drive and give more throttle. When the engine is COLD you would also feel any air escaping from around the manifold. You should have an engine access panel in the bedroom/closet area that will allow you to get a birds-eye view of the manifold and exhaust piping. I would double check make sure that is good. Beyond that if you are keeping up with the engine service yearly, oil, oil filters and fuel filters it should not be to much of a concern. The engine burns hot and will put out some soot and that will accumulate more the longer you drive the unit for the day. Next time you have a service done, I would ask them to check things over for that, do not think you are in any type of danger or anything is going to fail or reduce performance.... Hope this helps some. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert