Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Its 50 amp plugged in to a power pole, but the battery died.

Customer Question

its 50 amp plugged in to a power pole, but the battery died. lights, air conditioner, fridge weren't working
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: overhead lights, and the outside lights. all the things that are controlled at the wall panel in the hallway
JA: What is the model of your '50 RV?
Customer: awning too
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: its a 2009 Keystone Challenger 34'
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the fuses all checked out. and when we charged the battery, everything worked. I was told there was an inverter that should charge to battery when the RV was plugged in
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

That should be "converter" and it is usually integral with the load center. Most of those from this era were made by either Magnetek or WFCO and if you get back to me with that information I can assist you further. These should be putting out about 13.7 VDC to the batteries and if you have a small digital multimeter that can be easily checked. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. If you don't see that at the batteries, then check the reverse polarity fuses on the fuse block or converter (stand alone version) and see if they are good. If so, check the DC voltage there and see what it is and then get back to me and we can sort this out. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 month ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue as I hadn't heard back from you. If not, and you still need additional input on this problem please get back to me.