Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

I have a norcold DE0061 AC / DC fridge on my boat. Unit is

Customer Question

I have a norcold DE0061 AC / DC fridge on my boat. Unit is abrely used, works fine on DC but not on Ac, have confirmed correct AC source, checked all 3 fuses, replaced AC power supply, still doesn't work on AC.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

You replaced which AC power supply?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
there is only one ac power supply
Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

Your boat would have one and then the transformer on the fridge? Is that the one you replaced?

Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

I should say "Most boats have one" for other AC uses.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The fridge is plugged into an ac outlet supplied by shore power. No different than your house. From what I can tell the ac in is converted to dc. If you look at the parts breakdown (can see online) you'll see part #169000700. I'm thinking this might be the culprit. That board may tell the ac powered transformet to provide dc when required. The fridge prioritizes using the ac trsnsformer if plugged onto shore power
Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

That is basically true..........and so you replaced that part? Not sure all those parts are still available.

Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

I can check in the morning when I get to my shop...........

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, on phone advice from a rv guy (bad advice) i replaced the ac to dc power supply. Yes i can get the other part but I'm not going to keep replacing parts until it works
Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

If you checked on the output OUT of that power supply (assuming you did before buying parts) and they was none and still have none after replacing it, then very suspect that you have any coming to that. Or that new part was defective. Not many choices here. And true, we don't see many of these in RVs.........maybe it would have been better in the boat category.

Expert:  Randall replied 19 days ago.

I looked at the parts breakdown and mine shows that the part you replaced should be part #169000600. You might want to check the output of the DC unit and the fuse (if you didn't already) If you have a small digital multimeter this isn't hard to do. I am attaching a link to the exploded view I used.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the###-##-####was replaced by the###-##-#### As previously mentioned I checked all three fuses. I also checked the dc output before buying the new part. Assuming the new AC to DC transformer is good I can only surmise that something in another control board controls when this transformer provides power. The unit is set up to prioritize, using the AC source when it is present, and automatically switching to the DC source (batteries) when its not. If nothing is controlling the switchover between batteries and shore power I would always have 2 feeds,AC (shore power) and DC (batteries) into the DC power supply. I had expected you would know more about how these units work. If this is beyond your area of expertise please let me know. I will be glad to discuss over the phone as well but not for additional cost.
Expert:  Randall replied 19 days ago.

I mentioned we don't see these much in RVs and would have been better asked in the boat section. Just didn't want to leave you hanging........

Expert:  Robert replied 19 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Click HERE for some detailed troubleshooting that you can do with a voltmeter, I am not sure if you have seen this or not but might lead you to the problem.. I would do all the voltage checks that you can, also make sure the polarity of the AC source is good or try another source as well. Trying to be helpful here.....

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I did all what you suggest before I ever contacted you guy, have been to the website you suggest before and that is a unit far different than mine. If you folks don't have expertise specific to this unit I suspect you can't help me. I was looking for expertise beyond my abilities. If my card has been charged please back it out. If not thanks for your attempt to help.
Expert:  Robert replied 18 days ago.

OK... Understand... I will request a refund for you...

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks very much