Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

I am installing an inverter that has an automatic transfer

Customer Question

i am installing an inverter that has an automatic transfer switch built in. However, I have 50a service from both the genset and shorepower and an automatic transfer switch to sense one or the other. I plan to install the inverter downstream of the ATS but the inverter is only 110v so only one leg of the 50a service can be wired to it. So, essentially, I have half of my components working when the inverter is on, and the other half if I run the genset or have shorepower. I plan to remove the current converter as the inverter is also a battery charger
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: What? That has nothing to do with my question
JA: What year is your ATS?
Customer: I have no idea.
JA: Are you fixing your ATS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I am installing an inverter in my RV.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: you haven't been helpful as of yet. so please connecdt me
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 20 days ago.

Sorry about the irrelevant questions. This person is not a tech and sometimes has no idea what you really need here. So you want to know how to wire this up? First, decide which side you want to be powered up from the inverter. This is usually the smaller appliances and plugs. Not the A/C side for sure. Your inverter should have an input side for a positive, negative and ground lead. When the power comes from either the generator or the shore cord it passes though the inverter and powers up those items as usual. So you want to be sure that the lead you used is for that side. Hope that makes sense.

Expert:  Randall replied 14 days ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to resolve this issue as I hadn't heard back from you. If not, and you still need additional input on this problem please get back to me.