Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

It's a roof problem. Is this only for mechanical problems?

Customer Question

it's a roof problem. Is this only for mechanical problems?
JA: What's the make/model/year of your RV?
Customer: Winnebago 2003 Vista...21.5 foot RV
JA: What is the model of your '03 RV?
Customer: Vista
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Can you tell me what that roof is made of. It has been leaking with supposedly pinholes in the aluminum??? I have taken it to a RV place and they have replaced two gaskets on the air conditioner and put white sealant on the seams!?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Have to get the manual
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Volkswagon engine
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Pretty sure this is a fiberglass roof, if you run your hand over the roof it should feel smooth, if it was a rubber roof then it would almost feel like a fine sand paper. Water leaks can be very difficult to track down, water can get in and travel and then leak wherever it can get in. In the shop a rain simulation should be done to pin down the leaking area, this is done with a garden hose and sprayer in small areas. Any voids, cracks in the sealant can allow the water to seep in. Sometimes what I do is also pull a few screws in the area in question and if they are rusty it is a red flag. This could be any of the screws on the roof holding the vent caps, fans etc and any awning rails up high on the sides. If it is a fiberglass roof they may have used Dicor and that normally works well for leaks but if they are just guessing and not doing a simulated rain event then it would be hard to know where the issue is at....

IF this is not happening when it is raining and only happens when you use the AC unit please let me know......

Hope this helps some... Robert

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi Robert! Just called Winnebago and my roof is an aluminum one with tiny pinholes in it. Already had the pressurization test done on it. The RV place also put white stuff on the seams of the roof. And they sold me a can of pro flex rv instant roof repair. I haven't done anything to the roof yet. The company that makes pro flex RV said that product just goes on seams???
Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

Yes it looks like the Pro-flex will go onto the seams only let me check something out for you, you may be able to use liquid roof but I have to check and see if a primer is required with the aluminum style roof. That would get rolled on and cover everything, you would pull everything off, clean the roof and apply it. I will respond shortly, it would be the way to go to cover the entire roof.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 25 days ago.

Yes you can use the liquid rubber on aluminum, I knew there was one style that required a primer but that is for a certain type of Fleetwood product. Click HERE and have a look, that would be the way to go, just coat the entire roof with a roller..... Hope this helps some.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 24 days ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert