Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

When I tried to use the heater by-pass switch it will not go

Customer Question

when I tried to use the heater by-pass switch it will not go all the way over It stops in the middle. I am still gettingt anti freeze in the heater. Is the switch bad?
JA: Has your car been overheating? Have you noticed any leaks?
Customer: No, I'm trying to winterize my Winnebago.
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: Adventurer 2000
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried to bypass the Hot water heater by flipping the bypass switch but antifreeze was still filling my Hot warer heater.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 22 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Do you have an actual switch you hit or do you have a valve handle that you turn manually?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
valve handle
Expert:  Robert replied 22 days ago.

IF you are moving the valve handle and antifreeze is still getting into the tank then you have a bad valve. Some set ups will have a hot, cold and bypass, the hot and cold should be shut OR valve handle running against the pipe and the bypass should be open or valve handle running with the pipe. The phone service did not go through at this time, there is an "added fee" for that portion.........

Expert:  Robert replied 21 days ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, follow ups are included..