Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I want to find out how to remove the gas tank from my Rexall

Customer Question

I want to find out how to remove the gas tank from my Rexall American Clipper C29.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: My situation is that the motorhome hasn't been used since 2003. I'm trying to start it and tries to start but doesn't. I have put 5 galans of fresh gas but still doesn't start. We live in a rual area and so I'm thinking rodents have chewed on some wires, that's why we are trying to remove the tank
JA: What is the model of your '03 RV?
Customer: It is a 1998 American Clipper
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: other than trying to start it and put in the fresh and there is no fuel getting to the engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have checked the fuel shut off switch and that has not shut off
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Normally you would want to drain the fuel out the best you can so you are not fighting more weight, if you look at the bottom of the tank underneath, it should have some large straps going to the frame. Get a floor jack and some blocks of wood and run the floor jack up to make contact with the tank, start loosening the straps lowering the tank a little at a time, once it is about 1/2 way down you will be able to access all the wiring, watch the harness as you are lowering the tank and make sure it has slack in it. You will also have to disconnect the filler hose and I would have some buckets ready to catch any fuel if you can not get it out, when the filler hose is removed the fuel can come out and I have seen them act like a siphon and drain all the fuel out so I would have something underneath to catch any fuel.... In the shop it is about a 2-4 hour job depending on if the fuel needs to come out and be pumped back in... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The strap bolts are underneath the storage boxes also the leveling jacks are in the way. Can't shift tank back because of storage boxes. Can't shift forward because of Axel. Any ideas of how to handle from here?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No sense talking now, its night time here.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If we decide to talk, are you available on weekends? How would I contact you?
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

I have seen a few where you have to remove the jacks to get at the straps and they are normally bolted to the frame but if they need to come off and are hydrualic jacks then you have to take the pressure off the system or it will spray all over when you disconnect the lines, not sure on the storage boxes without having a better look. Problem here is the RV manufacturer does not take in to consideration these types of issues, they get the chassis and slap everything in and do not think about maintenance.

I am around daily and I respond WHEN I can sometimes I am out on service calls or doing sports with my kids, I always respond when I can..
Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

You can just reply like you have been.... We do not have to do a phone call if it is not needed.

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert