Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 6500 Onan gas genny in a 1998 winny motorhome. it

Customer Question

I have a 6500 Onan gas genny in a 1998 winny motorhome. it does not put out enough power to close the contactor in the transfer switch. I have power going to the transfer switch, but no power coming out.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

IF you have AC voltage going into the transfer switch and nothing coming out then the transfer switch failed and would need to be replaced. They can fail on the generator side or the shore power side. Once the relay starts to stick then it needs to be replaced and you normally replace the entire TS..... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just installed a new one today[t.s.]
, and the problem still persists . according to my cheap meter I have lower voltage coming from the genny, than I do from shore power. Could I have a bad circuit breaker? I have 2, 30 amp breakers on the generator.
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

That is very possible on the breakers or something like a bad voltage regulator inside the gen. I might go try and take a reading in and out of the breaker at the gen, if it is much higher or normal on one side then it is the problem. Also make sure there is nor a junction box between the TS and the generator, sometimes they will use them and the connections will have wire nuts...... I can try and pull a print if you like but need the model and model number of the Winnebago... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert