Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.

My Atwood water heater wont start in my motorhome, which

Customer Question

my Atwood water heater wont start in my motorhome
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: which battery?
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2003 Fleetwood diesel coach
JA: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just turning it on. We were running on AC power all summer and not the prophane
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 27 days ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

DO you happen to have the model number of the Atwood??? When you turn the interior switch ON do you hear it trying to spark at all??

Thanks, Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 27 days ago.

IF you do NOT have spark go to the outside access panel and locate the circuit board, look for a brown wire coming off the board on that brown wire will be a clear plastic sleeve under that plastic sleeve it a one time thermal fuse, when that blows it will prevent the water heater from working. You can pull it off and bypass it for testing ONLY..... IF that fuse is GOOD remove the connector on the circuit board, clean the contacts on the board with a pencil eraser, sometimes that is a weak link. IF you have power on the harness going INTO the circuit board then I would have the board tested, it could have failed. Most RV shops/stores have a special board tester and can tell if it is good or not. IF you still need more help please follow up with the model number.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 27 days ago.

Follow ups are included, you are not getting charged each time you respond.....

Expert:  Robert replied 26 days ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped??? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.....