Joe
Joe, RV Technician
Experience:  Associates Degree in Automotive Technology , 18+ years as RV and Commercial Bus Technician
20245751

2001 Winnebago workhorse motor message light decreased

Customer Question

2001 Winnebago workhorse motor message light decreased horsepower. It cant make it up a tiny incline.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: dash light
JA: What is the model of your '01 RV?
Customer: Winnebago Adventurer
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Maybe if it is possible DIIY. Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was able to go in reverse to repark it in storage lot, save rubber marks on the payment from where I backed down. I tried going up the tiny incline multiple times 4-5,
Category: RV
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is Joe

The first thing that comes to mind is the throttle actuator system. This system includes the throttle/foot pedal, the Throttle Actuator control module, and the Throttle actuator.

If the engine PCM sees any discrepancy in the signals or data in this system, it will give a "reduced engine power" message - along with a power derate. The engine might even return to idle speed only. This is a built in safety feature to keep the engine from accelerating uncontrollably.

Any time the "reduced power" message is displayed, the ecm will reduce engine power until the condition is corrected.

Possible causes include but are not limited to:

dirty or corroded connections at the throttle, tac control module, or throttle actuator
damaged wiring in the harness between these components
a glitch or defect in one of these components
If you can obtain a code reader, there could be 1 or more stored fault codes that may narrow down the search.
If the motorhome had been parked for a period of time, don't rule out the possibility that rodents may have damaged some wiring.

The t.a.c. module is usually located under the dash or on or near the steering column, often has a piece of foil tape on the side.
The throttle actuator is the device on the engine that opens and closes the throttle plate via an electric motor.

-Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need any clarification on something which I stated above.
Please remember to rate my service, so I can receive credit for my help.
-Joe