gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Had my transmission rebuilt and it is running very hot. Got

Customer Question

Had my transmission rebuilt and it is running very hot. Got it up to 270 degrees. It would have continue to climb along as I drove it. It threw a code 01192, torque converter lock up malfunctioning. Is it possible that it could be slipping all the time and creating heat?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: coolant is good. no leak. Just got it back from Aamco so it's all tight
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2001 Eurovan 01P transmission on a Winnebago Rialta Body
JA: Are you fixing your Eurovan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to diagnose myself because the rebuilder says everything is fine and I need a larger external cooler. I have an external cooler 34,000 BTU made for a 24000 lb GVW vehicle. I blew it out to make sure there were no blockages. I took off the bypass to the cooler to make sure it wasn't stuck closed and drove with out it. I checked the fluid. I ran a VCDS on it while it was driving and I think it says the torque converter is slipping. (MVB 007 reading) The last time they rebuilt it it burned up in 100 miles for no apparent reason
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no does he have transmission experience?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 25 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 25 days ago.

Get a different rebuilder....................sounds like these guys don't know how to do one correctly.

Expert:  Randall replied 25 days ago.

My friend has a shop next to mine and I can ask him about this for you, but I know from what you told me those guys are full of hot air.