Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

When I plug into shore power I lose all power inside rv. its

Customer Question

when I plug into shore power I lose all power inside rv. its an older vanguard motor home. when I unplug shore power 12v returns ???
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 59000 automatic its a class c on a ford chassis
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 1988 vangaurd
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just trying to find out if I should take it to expert or if there it something I should be looking for myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no don't think so
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this. I may need some additional information from you first in order to give a complete answer.

Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

What is the make and model of your load center where all the fuses and breakers are?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
good question I have no idea
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
there is nothing on the panel that gives me this information
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

No name inside or out? Can you attach a photo of it to your post so I can see it? That would help here. It sounds like the relay inside the converter section has failed. Most of these older units are made by Magnetek and are dark brown and the cover opens up and folds down. The breakers are on the left and fuses on the right side.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
that is what mine looks like no name inside or out that I can see
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
sorry can do photo
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
if it is the relay is that a replaceable part
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

Have you upgraded this at all or is this still the OEM unit? I am attaching a photo link of what these look like for you. And no.............but, you can add an upgrade.

Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

Progressive Dynamics makes about the best upgrade section and has adjustable charging and your batteries will last longer. See Best Converter online for some good prices. Amazon may have some as well. PD4645 is the part number.

Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

If you have a small digital multimeter we can test this to find out if that is the problem.......

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
im thinking that if relay gets hot then it shuts of all power and when it cools restores 12v power everything works then off battery power this is still original equipment.
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

Sort of..........was yours like the one in the photo?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
sorry just looked at picture no that is not what this looks like the whole front panel is held on by 4 screws
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

Then you may have a stand alone converter, but they still work the same on the older ones. Newer models have fully electronic charging and don't have this issue. You would need to find yours and most would be near the load center or in a service bay.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
ok thanks Randall that is over my head so I think I have to take this to a professional. Thank you for your assistance
Expert:  Randall replied 27 days ago.

You are most welcome! Check and see if you can find a good mobile tech to come out and assist you. Most RV parks have one or two they can recommend. Get some price estimates first.