Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

When connected to shore power there is no power in coach.

Customer Question

When connected to shore power there is no power in coach. Pedestal in campground has power. If I run my genset I have power but nothing coming in from external, have tried 50amp, 30amp and 20amp
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistant, no power from external we had power and then it all went out I have checked the breakers and they are all on (have flipped them off and on again to confirm
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: 2000 Winnebago Journey, 50 amp , with an ONAN 7500 Queit Diesel gen
JA: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes if I can. Tried to run some basic diag and noticed that if I have the water heater circuit breaker off thenon the power center it shows genset and 50amp lights on if I put the circuit for h2o back on then only the genset light is on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was working fine on 50amp, had fridge, microwave tv and dvd and some lights running then it blinked and went dark what does the $29 cover?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Hi my my name is Robert...

Sorry for the delay, the 29 covers unlimited follow ups on this issue, if you would like to do a phone service there is an additional charge.

IF you have NO AC power on shore power but have AC power running the generator it sounds like the ATS. The Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS), detects the incoming power source and switches back and forth between shore and generator power. When the ATS fails you will get NO AC power on one source, it can happen on generator or shore power. To test you would need to find the ATS and then check for AC voltage going into the ATS and AC power coming out, if you have AC power going in and nothing coming out when you are plugged in then the ATS has failed. IF you can get me the model number of the Journey I can send you a print of that AC power... Hope this helps some..... Robert

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
36g
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The ats is a power switch but not sure how to tell which model
Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

SO the ATS will have what looks like a Y for the wiring on one side you will have AC power coming in from the generator, on the other side you will have incoming AC voltage from the shore cord, then you will have outgoing voltage to the breaker panel/inverter. So if you have AC power going in and nothing coming out it has failed. Most RV stores should be able to get you one and it should be a 50 Transfer switch. Click HERE it shows it next to the shore cord.... Hope this helps, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 2 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert