Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a motorhome on an f53 chassis. The tow/haul is not

Customer Question

I have a motorhome on an f53 chassis. The tow/haul is not working and I believe it is the fuse. For the life of me, i cannot open the fuse box located on the firewall. An additional problem is the fuse box is behind the air cleaner which hinders both line of sight and reachability.
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: Yes and the tow/haul system takes a 20A maxi fuse located in slot 18 of the chassis power distribution box, located on the firewall just about centered left right.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: It is a 2015 Jayco motorhome, built on a 2014 f53 chassis.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have located the power distribution box on the firewall. I have found the instructions on the box indicating I should pull on the left side of the box, the side opposite what appears to be a hinge. I have found a lock which when pushed, enables me to release a clip which appears to hold on the cap. Then I'm stymied. I cannot get the cap to budge and I can't see what the "clip" has actually released.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I guess not.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The problem with the fuse theory is, if it is the fuse blown then replacing the fuse is just repairing the result, no the cause of the circuit grounding out and blowing the fuse. Though the fuse still does need to be checked. The directions I have for getting the fuse box cover off are no better than the directions you have. If you can see the hinge on the door on one side then there will be one or 2 locks on the opposite end locking the door to the fuse box. Do not confuse the clips which hold the fuse box to the chassis with the ones that hold the door to the fuse box. One other way to check the fuse is to see if your reverse lights work. This fuse also controls the reverse lamp relay.

Let me know what you find so we can do more work on getting the transmission control working.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 28 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry Moose, I really can't rate you because you were of no help. I had completed all of the checks to determine if the fuse was blown, beginning with the back-up lights. That's why I was fairly certain of the problem. I just couldn't open the fuse box. I still cannot open the fuse box. I know where the hinge is. I can follow the imprinted arrows to the side opposite the hinge where the word "pull" is imprinted. There is a "clip" which when released and pulled, comes away from the box. There is where everything stops. It doesn't matter how I pull, twist, pry or swear, the lid doesn't budge. So, since your instructions are identical to mine, all that I accomplished was to waste an hour of my time and $26.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 27 days ago.

If you still want to get the cover off, can you get me some love images of it. All I have are the repair guide drawings and there not great. You have been charged but no tech has been paid, so I am here to help till you are pleased.